2 Dead, 12 Injured in Charlotte After Block Party Shooting

2 Dead, 12 Injured in Charlotte After Block Party Shooting

photo credit: ZikG // Shutterstock

At least two people are dead and a total of 12 people are injured; seven from gunfire and five from being hit by vehicles, after a neighborhood block party in Charlotte on Sunday.

A $5,000 reward is now being offered for information that leads to an arrest, police said.

According to CMPD, the event started out as a Father’s Day and Juneteenth celebration from Friday and continued Sunday night. Early information indicates that several shooters discharged dozens of shots into the crowd who had been gathered in the area, police said. CMPD’s Gerald Smith said he believes there were multiple shooters and at least 100 rounds of ammunition were fired overnight.

CMPD officers responded to the area for a vehicle collision involving a pedestrian. As officers were responding, they heard several gunshots in the area. A short time later, they found a woman with a gunshot wound, lying in Beatties Ford Road. She was pronounced deceased on the scene by Medic.

Two people have died, according to Medic. They were later identified as Kelly Miller, 29, and Christopher Gleaton, 28. CMPD said late Monday morning an additional three people are in the hospital fighting for their lives.

“What’s really disappointing is that out of 400 people who were at the party, we don’t have a single witness who has come forward,” Smith said.

Witnesses tell FOX 46 Charlotte the scene was “absolute chaos.”

Source: WNCT

Instagram