photo credit: Luna Vandoorne // Shutterstock
Cooper says he’s ordering the taking down of some of the barriers to unemployment.
His Executive order does 5 things:
- Removes the one week waiting period to apply for unemployment for those who have lost jobs.
- Requirement that people must look for another job.
- Allows employees who lose their job or in certain instances, have hours reduced to apply for unemployment benefits.
- Permits applicants to apply for benefits remotely by phone or online.
- Directs employers will not be held responsible for benefits paid as a direct result of COVID-19 claims.
The governor says there are now 40 cases in North Carolina. Cooper says there are no deaths to report.
All cases have been traced to travel outside the state or contact with a known person infected, Cooper says. It’s likely we have community spread that hasn’t shown in testing. We know that more people will get sick.