Photo Credit: Trong Nguyen // Shutterstock
As of today, Florence is a category 3 hurricane with sustained winds of 115 mph. Now is the time to start preparing for any potential impact that could happen here in the ENC later this week.
According to WITN, “Hurricane Florence is expected to travel between Bermuda and the Bahamas on Tuesday and Wednesday before approaching the coast on Thursday.” WITN has provided a checklist of supplies you’ll want to have on hand at least two days before the storm hits.
• A watertight plastic bin or trash can that is easy to carry to store all your items in one place.
• Water. You will want one gallon per person per day.
• Non-perishable foods, such as canned meats, granola bars, cereal, crackers, peanut butter, trail mix, and any special dietary foods.
• Manual can opener
• One week supply of medications kept in a sealed plastic bag.
• Enough cash to last a week. Remember, if you lose power, ATM’s will not be working.
• First aid kit: bandages, gauze pads, alcohol-based sanitizer and wipes, adhesive tape, anti-bacterial ointment, small scissors, tweezers, etc.
• Sanitary items such as shampoo, toothpaste, toilet paper, trash bags, towels, feminine hygiene supplies, etc.
• Batteries and flashlights
• Change of clothes
• Baby supplies: formula, bottle, pacifier, soap, baby powder, baby wipes, disposable diapers
• Pet supplies: a leash, food, water, carrier. Remember to make the proper arrangements for your pet if you are evacuating/ heading to a shelter, as most shelters do not allow pets.
• Weather radio
• Portable phone chargers and car chargers
• Battery operated clock
• Books, games, cards
Also, make a plan and consider emergencies could happen where you live. The ENC should prepare accordingly.
Written By: Fantasia Harvey